Master the Complex Requirements of the LIHTC Program!
||As experienced affordable housing management professionals know, the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program is the primary production tool for creating new affordable housing properties across every state in the country, and it is also the most important tool for rehabilitating and preserving the nation's existing stock of aging affordable housing. To maximize their careers, management professionals in the affordable housing industry must be able to demonstrate their experience and expertise in mastering the complex requirements of the LIHTC program. Earning your SHCM enables you to do just that.
The SHCM® is offered in association with the NAA, the National Affordable Housing Management Association (NAHMA) and the American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging (AAHSA).
Specialist in Housing Credit Management (SHCM) includes:
- Program Regulations
- Applicant Eligibility
- Unit Eligibility
- Monitoring and Compliance
Earn Your SHCM Certification October 20-21, 2016
To earn an SHCM, candidates must:
- Education - successfully accumulate a minimum of 12 hours (actual instruction time) of housing credit specific coursework or training from an approved provider* within two years of sitting for the SHCM exam. These courses are offered at WMFHA October 20-21, 2016.
- Examination - successfully pass the SHCM exam - October 21, 2016
- Professional Experience - demonstrate a minimum of two years of housing credit management employment experience through an application process
- SHCM Code of Professional Conduct - commit to a defined code of professional conduct (see below)
- Complete Application - submit your SHCM application along with the $150 application fee.
| SHCM Designate Benefits
- Demonstrate your expertise, experience and professionalism by putting the SHCM after your name
- Receive a certificate, pin, annual identification card, and draft press release for your internal company newsletter
- Participate for FREE in two SHCM training webinars each year (upon renewal)
- Receive a free subscription to NAHMA News, NAHP Update, SHCM Newsbriefs, and UNITS Magazine
- Receive free access to NAHMA's LIHTC Web-site at www.nahma.org
$425 | Members*
$550 | Non-Members*
*does not include $150 application fee paid to NAHMA to complete certification.
Scholarships available for WMFHA Members (click the button on the upper right of this page).
Maintaining the SHCM Designation:
- SHCM certification is valid for one year and must be renewed annually each September.
- Renewal consists of six hours of housing credit specific coursework or training by an approved provider per year and $155 renewal fee.
About Our SHCM Instructor
Aaron Stright, - Owner and CEO, Striam Consulting
Aaron accredits his success to extensive training and development courses as well as outstanding mentors that guide his way. His expertise includes Affordable Housing Compliance monitoring and reporting, Training, End User computer solution management and Project Management.
With over 10 years as Director of Compliance for HNN Associates, LLC, Aaron knows how important it is to keep paperwork in order. Aaron is responsible for the successful creation of policies and procedures as well as training for the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program in use today at HNN. Aaron directed a Compliance department responsible for over 4,000 apartment homes.
“Compliance is complex and critical to the success of the programs.” said Aaron. “Attention to detail, proper training and accountability prevent a recapture of tax credits.”
- Housing Credit Certified Professional – HCCP©.
- Specialist in Housing Credit Management – SHCM©.
- Certified Occupancy Specialist - COS©.
- Certified Credit Compliance Professional - C5P©.