Rental Assistance for Tenants

In Washington State

Washington Rent Assistance Website

King County  Pierce County  |  Snohomish County  Clark County  |  Spokane County  |  Whatcom County
Kitsap County  |  Thurston County |

Washington Emergency Rent Assistance Program

In order to qualify for the Department of Commerce's Emergency Rent Assistance Program, a tenant must earn 50% AMI or less within the prior 60 days, have at least one month of rent that is unpaid or partially unpaid since March 2, 2020, and meet one of the following: 

  • Rent burdened: 50% or more of current monthly income is needed to pay rent.
  • Previously homeless within last five years. This includes experiences of couch surfing/double up.
  • Eviction history within last seven years.
  • Housing disrupted due to household member's race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, or religion.
  • At risk of severe illness as per CDC (62 or older, underlying condition).
  • Disability of any household member. Includes a physical, developmental, mental, or emotional impairment, including impairment caused by alcohol or drug abuse, post-traumatic stress disorder, or brain injury. A person with HIV/AIDS is considered disabled.

Landlords must accept a maximum of three months rent at 80% of total rent due or Fair Market Rent rate. In King County the program requires a waiver of any rent owing beyond three months.  

For more information about each county's available rental assistance funding, please visit the following County links. If you can't find your local program try using Google to search for "ERAP" and your county.

For additional information and for information for additional counties, please visit this website

State Resources:

Washington State Unemployment Insurance 

Unemployment is available to employees whose employer has been closed by a public health official, the employer has closed due to a slow down or lack of demand, or the employer reduces hours of employees due to a lack of demand or because of a slowdown. It is also available if the employee has contracted a mild case of COVID-19 or if the employee was potentially exposed and is quarantined.

Washington State Paid Sick Leave 

Paid sick leave is available when the employee has become sick from COVID-19, was exposed to COVID-19 and has become quarantined, the employee is caring for a sick family member, schools are closed by a public official and the employee has no childcare.  Paid sick leave is also available when the employer is shut down because of quarantine by a public official.  Health care workers and first responders in quarantine are also eligible for paid sick leave. 

Washington State Family Medical Leave Act 

FMLA is available when the employee is severely sick because of the COVID-19 virus and when the employee is caring for a family member experiencing the COVID-19 virus. 

Washington Tenancy Preservation Program 

Available to landlords in reimbursement after an eviction judgment is entered by a court in an unlawful detainer proceeding, subject to the tenant’s reinstatement of the tenancy. 

Seattle / King County Resources:

All Seattle Kids Home (206) 488-2692 

Multi-lingual service focuses on families in imminent risk of homelessness. They can provide critical resources to help families remain in safe housing or find new housing.

Attain Housing 425-828-0489

Rent assistance is only available to households with dependent children under 18, and only to these cities: Kirkland, Woodinville, Bellevue, Redmond, Bothell, Kenmore, Sammamish, Issaquah, Duvall, Carnation.

Byrd Barr Place (206) 812-4940  /  722 18th Ave, Seattle

Byrd Barr Place is committed to preventing homelessness in Seattle. They can help avoid eviction with temporary rental assistance or connect you to housing resources.

Catholic Community Services (206) 328-5724

Offers King County residents emergency assistance. At most once per year, the non-profit provides move-in cost assistance, eviction prevention, emergency rent help, and limited motel and shelter vouchers.

El Centro De La Raza (206) 329-0786

Provides assistance for various types of housing emergencies.

Jewish Family Service (206) 861-8796

JFS provides services to people of all backgrounds as well as Jewish individuals and families. Financial assistance may be available for emergencies like eviction prevention, move-in costs such as first/last months’ rent and security deposits, medical expenses, past due utility bills, transportation, or school clothes.

LifeWire (425)746-1940

LifeWire helps victims of DV situations to assist with their rent. They’ll also help them with finding new housing and really work hard to prevent homelessness among DV victims and their children.

Neighborhood House 206-825-2581

Neighborhood House focuses on coaching people toward finding their own solutions and provides one-time rental and move-in assistance, landlord mediation, housing location, job training, placement and retention, and financial counseling. Our clients include those who live in the city of Seattle and are in danger of being evicted or are at risk of losing their utilities.  

For more information, please contact Marilynn Harris at or by phone at 206-825-2581. Referrals are taken the first week of every month.

Plymouth Housing Group (206) 374-9409  /  2113 3rd Avenue, Seattle
Provides permanent, supportive housing for single adults 18 years or older who are homeless or have income less than 30% of local median income.

Queen Anne Helpline (206) 282-1540

Provides limited emergency rent assistance to prevent eviction from homes and apartments.

Solid Ground. (206) 694-6767
Some limited one-time rental assistance is offered. However more extensive is free eviction counseling, and basically free advice for those who receive eviction notices. Also, get advice and support including information on tenants' rights and responsibilities.

Saint Vincent de Paul Financial Assistance (206) 767-6449  /  5950 4th Ave S, Seattle

The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul is one of the largest charity organizations in the country. They are committed to providing social services, resources and financial assistance across the United States. The Society of St. Vincent de Paul parish near you is a non-profit that offers a unique style of personal assistance with food, clothing, gasoline, medicine, rent, utilities, and transportation to people facing economic or emotional crises. People of all backgrounds and religions can get assistance.

Salvation Army - Veteran Men's Shelter (206) 447-9944 option 5 for Emergency Assistance  /  811 Maynard Ave S, Seattle

Resources can help with housing needs, with a focus on preventing homelessness in the King County area. Some of the services can include eviction prevention, move-in and security deposit assistance, limited rent help, and utility bill assistance. Counseling services are provided at the same time. Any type of assistance paid out is by appointment only and may require an interview process. Zip codes they service: 98101, 98102, 98104, 98108 (excludes South Park) 98109, 98112, 98118, 98119, 98121, 98122, 98134, 98144, 98199.

United Churches Emergency Fund (206) 524-7885  /  4515 16th Ave NE, Seattle

Can offer emergency assistance up to once per year. Income limitations are in place. Call the program to get emergency financial assistance and referrals to non-profits.

Wellspring Family Services Housing Services (206)  902-4271  /  1900 Rainier Ave. S. Seattle

Offers programs including eviction prevention and rental assistance. Among other housing programs and services, the agency provides limited financial assistance and cash grants for low-income (50% or less of HUD income guidelines) and working poor individuals and families. In addition, speak to a counselor about housing stability services, advocacy, and eviction prevention programs.

West Seattle Helpline (206) 932 – 4357 
Provides limited emergency rent assistance to prevent eviction from homes and apartments.

World Relief Seattle (253) 277-1121

Provides assistance for refugees and immigrants new to the USA.

YWCA (206) 461-4851 

Hundreds of non-profit and charities are part of the YWCA or they work closely with the organization. The agency provides several services to women, their children, and families. Every year millions of people turn to the non-profit for help with child care, economic empowerment, employment, and assistance for domestic violence. The YWCA also supports veterans and their families.

Pierce County Resources:

Housing Justice Project (253) 572-5134 x 102 or Provides mediation and rental assistance support (available now) to residents of Pierce County. 

Associated Ministies

Pierce County Veterans Assistance Programs 

Rental assistance avaialble to tenants who are veterans and earning 80% AMI or less in income. 

Pierce County DSHS Community Services Offices (877) 501 – 2233

Program offers numerous financial assistance programs, including one known as Emergency Assistance.

Families Unlimited Network (253) 460-3134

Program serves the zip codes of 98466 and 98467 and is based in University Place Washington. The non-profit offers rent and utility assistance if the applicant has a disconnect notice or pay or vacate notice.

Community Action Programs – Pierce County Community Services - 866-223-1359

Provides financial assistance, including housing, to low income Pierce County residents. 

Gig Harbor/Peninsula FISH Food Bank  253-858-6179

The non-profit administers both rental and utility assistance to Key Peninsula and Gig Harbor residents.

Metropolitan Development Council 253-597-6728

Program offers low-income housing and rent help for low-income families and individuals. Other assistance may include help with child care for homeless families, loans to pay rent as part of eviction prevention, funds for utility bills, or family counseling.

Our Lady Queen of Heaven 253-537-5266

Program is part of Saint Vincent de Paul, is a charity in the Tacoma Washington area that assists Pierce County residents with rent, utilities, bus tickets, and gas. 

Tacoma Assistance Human Rights and Human Services Department (253) 682-3401

Program is a Centralized Intake Program for all Housing Related Services.

Tacoma Housing Authority (253) 207-4400
They operate low-income housing programs, provide section 8 HUD vouchers as well as other services. Section 8 from HUD is the main government rental and low-income housing program. Referrals are also given to homeless prevention, job, budget, and debt programs.

Helping Hand House (253) 682-3401.

Program offers assistance to families with children offering limited financial assistance for paying monthly rent or back rent to families with children in Pierce County. You need to have an eviction notice to apply.

Pierce County Veterans Bureau 253-798-7449

Program offers various forms of help to low-income and homeless veterans in Pierce County. Find help with rent, utility and heating bills and food assistance.

St. Frances Cabrini Church (253) 655-7837

Program covers the parish of zip codes  98499, 98439 and JBLM. Up to $100 may be paid out for rent or other bills. Clients range from single moms to the working poor, seniors, and vulnerable. 

Saint Martin of Tours phone (253) 970-9037)

Program runs a multitude of housing and rental programs. Also access landlord and tenant dispute resolution.

Lakewood Area Shelter Association (253) 682 – 3401

May offer rental, energy, and food assistance to Lakewood Washington Area residents.

All Saints Community Services (253) 848-2000

Program may have one time per year emergency rent help for Puyallup low income tenants only. Funding is limited. Location is 204 6th Ave SW, Puyallup, WA, 98371. Call.

Homeless Prevention Programs  (206) 694 – 6767

Program offers referrals to rent help to prevent an eviction.

Diversion is a form of Eviction Prevention. Non-profits in the region may have money to help rehouse families as well stop a tenant from being evicted. ESG grants may be used for paying rent, the distribution of motel vouchers to the homeless, and utility or security deposit costs. Other support is offered too for low income families struggling with rental expenses. More information on Pierce County eviction help.

Free 253 1-888-822-5134

Free 253 is a collaborative approach to assisting renters and landlords as the end of the moratorium on evictions approaches. Through this effort, both renters and landlords can contact Tacomaprobono to facilitate creating payment plan, using mediation if needed, and addressing any other concerns related to their housing safety. This program is FREE and serves residents of Pierce County. 

Snohomish County Resources:

Catholic Community Services (888) 240-8572

Program runs the Snohomish County Family Center and provides a multitude of transitional and permanent housing programs, including a rapid rehousing program and the organization is part of the Investing In Families Pilot Project.

City of Marysville  (360) 363 – 8300

Provides a list of Marysville churches and other non-profits that may be able to assist Marysville residents who need help with payment of past-due expenses. Priority is the prevention of eviction and/or disconnection of utilities or heating is the priority. 

DSHS - Community Services Offices - Snohomish (877) 501 - 2233

Local government office that provides a variety of assistance programs.

  • Emergency Financial Assistance: They help TANF/WorkFirst clients apply for supplemental financial assistance and government programs when faced with an emergency caused by circumstances out of their control. Funding may be approved for eviction prevention notices; electric, utility, gas, heating fuel, water/sewer or telephone utility shut-off notices; and other emergencies.
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF/WorkFirst): The agency can provide monthly to qualified people cash grants, financial aid and medical assistance to eligible low to moderate-income families with minor children in the home.
  • Rent help - They administer their own programs, and can also refer individuals to additional agencies.
  • Loan programs - The county and state of Washington can offer low-cost funds, even including free money for paying bills in a crisis.

Holy Cross Catholic Church (360) 691 – 2273

Program can provide help for rent and utilities to Granite Falls and Lake Stevens families only.

Stanwood Camano Community Resource Center (360) 629 – 5257

Program may be able to offer limited financial assistance and cash grants to persons and families residing within the boundaries of the Stanwood-Camano School District. The aid offered is targeted at preventing evictions or disconnection of essential services (such as heat or utilities), or for basic needs in emergency situations or a crisis.

Arlington Community Chest (360) 435-2168

Program provides rent or electric bill help, and you must have a disconnect or eviction notice. The nonprofit can provide one-time emergency financial assistance or cash grants to help pay rent or utility bills to residents of the greater Arlington area.

Everett Salvation Army (425) 259 – 8129

Program assists low income families with infants or the elderly can qualify for help with energy bills, rent, medications, and other basic needs.

Domestic Violence Services (425) 252 – 2873

Program supports victims of domestic violence, in particular women, children, and their families, may receive financial help for paying their mortgage, rent, and other basic needs.

Family Center Of South Snohomish County (425) 670 – 8984

Prpgram prrovides cash grants and financial assistance for relatives raising children that are not their own. For example, grandparents or aunts or uncles raising a child may benefit. Assistance provided by the non-profit can include rent, car repairs, utilities, food, clothing, etc. 6330 195th St SW, Lynnwood, Washington, 98036, dial

The Arc of Snohomish County (425) 258 – 2459

Program provides limited emergency financial assistance to individuals with Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities and their families/caregivers. Some assistance may include a utility bill or rent payment (will not fund security or damage deposits).

Clark County Resources

Clark County Community Action Program (360) 397-2130

Program provides financial assistance to stop evictions, and prevent homelessness

Inter-Faith Treasure House (360) 834-4181

Provides rent assistance, help with paying utility, PUD, heating and water bills. Food boxes. Baby Clothing. All services are dependent on funding availability.

St. Vincent De Paul of Vancouver (360) 694-5388

Provides a host of programs, including direct financial assistance, primarily for food and clothing, including limited rent, housing and utility bill assistance to families with children

Clark County Veterans Assistance Program (360) 397-8478

Provides assistance to veterans, widowed spouses or dependents of veterans. Programs may be offered for rent assistance; energy bills; free food; transportation; meals; prescription drug expenses; clothing; car repair; dental; medical expenses; and burial costs.

Clark County Community Services Department 360-695-9677

Provides financial resources to prevent evictions, stop foreclosures, keep the power on and address home improvements.

Spokane County Resources

Spokane County Community Services (509) 477-5722,

Provides  Housing and Community Development assistance program for both rental and utility bill assistance to Spokane County’s low and moderate-income residents.

Saint Vincent de Paul Society (509) 535-2491

Spokane Valley Center (509) 927-1153
Provides low-income housing and rental assistance to low-income families, the disabled, and the elderly or handicapped persons. In some cases, they have referrals to funds for paying security deposits on low-income housing.

Goodwill Industries of the Inland Northwest (509) 462-0518
Provides rent or housing assistance as part of Housing Essential Needs (HEN). This is a state of Washington housing, homeless prevention and rent assistance program that is paid for using government grants.

Northeast Washington Housing Solutions (509) 328 - 2953
Provides rental assistance subsidies through the section 8 voucher program. Assistance is also for the disabled, families on welfare-to-work, and the poor.

Catholic Charities of Spokane (509) 455-4963
Provides rent or housing assistance after referral from another local church.

Coordinated Housing and Homeless Families Assessment of Spokane 509-325-5005

Provides rapid rehousing (including funds for security deposits or storage fees); emergency homeless prevention (loans or grants to pay rent)

Spokane Housing Authority (509) 838-4651
Rent assistance and housing opportunities are provided for the low income.

Whatcom County Resources

Opportunity Council (360) 734-5121

Provides programs and offer services that are key to increased self-sufficiency and creating positive change for the unemployed, low and fixed income people. Services offered by the agency include housing, rent assistance, food, shelter, prescriptions, childcare, head start, information and referral to other federal government and Washington programs.

Whatcom Salvation Army (360) 733-1410

Provides assistance to individuals facing a one-time crisis but have historically been stable. Examples of who the Salvation Army tends to help will be residents faced with a serious illness, accident, short term reduction in hours, medical condition at work, or violence. In general, any help for expenses such as rent or energy bills is for individuals that were self-sufficient before the crisis..

Bellingham and Whatcom County Love INC (360) 671-6201

Provides advice and referrals to help people in poverty address the cause of it, such as excessive debt or lack of employment.

Sacred Heart Church (360) 734-28

Provides emergency food or one-time financial aid for security deposits, rent, or energy bills.

Saint Paul's Episcopal Church 

Provides small amounts of money for emergency expenses. There may be funds for rent or paying bills, local transportation, and other costs. Applicants need to walk in on Tuesday from 9-10 am to apply. Address is 2117 Walnut Street, Bellingham, WA, 98225.

Kitsap County

North Kitsap Fishline offers Emergency Services (360) 779-5190.

Based in Poulsbo, Washington, they may be able to provide funds or grants for rent assistance. Limited to families residing within in the North Kitsap High School Boundaries.

Kitsap County Personnel and Human Services, (360) 337-7185.

Offers assistance for veterans in need of help. The primary service is known as the Soldiers and Sailors or Relief Fund.

Catholic Community Services,(866) 377-5058 or (360) 405-9486.

This is a church based group, offering homeless prevention as part of the Washington State Housing and Essential Needs program (HEN). It provides grants for rent, energy costs, and housing needs.

Kitsap Community Resources (360) 377-0053 or (360) 478-2301.  

They may have rent or housing assistance available.

Housing Solutions Center (360) 473-2146 (Port Orchard) or (360) 473-2035 (Bremerton).

Assists in accessing government rental assistance and emergency rental assistance grants.

Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (877) 501-2233 (Bremerton) or (877) 501-2233 (Kingston)

Providing assistance to those in a crisis situation with resources to assist with rent, utilities, or medications.

Thurston County

Veterans Housing Assistance (360) 867-2625

Applicants must have been honorably discharged, be low-income or working poor, and a Thurston County Resident to receive up to $400 in rent or bill assistance.

Community Action – (360) 438-1100.

The non-profit has limited funds and grants to help with rent and security deposits. It has a very limited amount of rental assistance funds. The non-profit also administers numerous social services for Thurston County families. This includes eviction prevention/rent help, security deposits, shelter, and vouchers for lodging. Call for info.

DSHS Community Services Offices - Thurston County (877) 501-2233.

The government agency provides financial assistance and grant programs to low-income families, pregnant women, refugees and people who are aged, blind or disabled. Includes TANF/WorkFirst, AREN, Section 8 housing vouchers, Diversion Cash Assistance and Refugee Assistance. Families on TANF may be eligible for a resource known as AREN-Additional Requirements and Emergency Needs. AREN offers up to $750 per year for eviction prevention, security deposits, move-in costs, and other emergency related needs.

Sacred Heart – (360) 923-0929.

If a resident has an eviction notice, they may qualify for emergency rental assistance. Other support includes referrals to low income apartments and information on loan programs.

Emergency Outreach Program – 906 Bowker St SE, Lacey, WA, 98503

Provides up to $125 in limited emergency assistance with paying rent as funds are available. Eviction notices only.

St. Vincent De Paul (360) 352-7554.

Low income families with an eviction notice, or utility disconnection, may qualify for funds to pay rent or energy bills. Individuals who have an eviction notice may qualify for emergency rent assistance.

City Gates Ministries – (360) 705-0291.

Low to moderate income may qualify for rental assistance. All applicants or families seeking help, including seniors or single parents, need to have an eviction notice.

Lacey, Olympia and Tumwater Salvation Army (360) 352-8596

Offers assistance in paying rent, security deposits, and access to other grants and financial assistance. Case management and self-sufficiency can also be arranged, including credit counseling, food, applications for rental support for the disabled, and emergency shelter for the homeless.

Rochester Organization of Families (360) 273-6375.

Loans or other funds may be available for partial rent or mortgage payments. Services are available in Spanish too. Call to make an appointment.

United Communities Aids Network (360) 352-2375.

Individuals suffering from HIV/AIDS can apply for financial assistance or money in a crisis.

Yelm Community Services (360) 458-7000.

Offers rent assistance for rural Thurston County residents.