Who and what behind all the Advocacy Efforts at WMFHA
What we do:
- Support public officials who understand the value and importance of the multifamily industry
- Build relationships and help educate elected officials on issues affecting our industry
- Monitor bills in the legislature and local policy proposals involving multifamily housing to protect our members from harmful legislation and support those that positively affect the industry
- Keep our members informed of any legal changes and compliance requirements
- Defeated rent control at Seattle City Council in August
- Helped elect pro-business candidates to Seattle City Council, changing the majority direction
- Stopped rent control and tenant protection legislation from moving forward at the state legislature last session
Meet our WMFHA Advocacy Team
Ryan Makinster- Director of Government Affairs
Ryan joined WMFHA after having led government affairs efforts for the home building industry in the greater Portland Metro region. Along with a love for housing of all types and the people and businesses that work every day to provide housing to Washington residents, he brings a strong government relations and communications background to his role at WMFHA. Ryan brings a diverse background in strategy and policy, as well as previous work with elected officials, trade associations, political campaigns and political action committees.
Carter Nelson- Public Affairs Manager
|Carter joined WMFHA as our Public Affairs Manager, having returned to Washington after working in local politics in California. Most recently she worked for Lighthouse Public Affairs, a firm specializing in lobbying and strategic planning. She has broad experience working on political campaigns, independent expenditures and developing relationships at all levels of government.
Carter was born and raised in Washington, having lived in both Seattle and Kirkland. She earned her bachelor’s degree in political science and minor in pre-law from University of the Pacific.
Krystelle Purkey- Contract Lobbyist
|Krystelle represents WMFHA in Olympia as one of our contract lobbyists. She comes to WMFHA with a demonstrated history of working in the government affairs industry, since 2015. Skilled in Political Communication, Political Strategy, Strategic Planning, Public Outreach, and Marketing Strategy.