Eviction Early Resolution Program Now Available
Date postedNovember 17, 2020
Posted By: Advocacy News, COVID-19 Resource Center,
The Supreme Court of Washington has authorized the creation of an Early Resolution Program (ERP) for nonpayment of rent cases only. You can download forms and more information about the ERP from this website.
The program was launched November 11, 2020, and will extend through June 30, 2021.
The ERP provides an excellent opportunity to engage tenants who are not communicating about their rent arrears and to obtain a resolution on rental arrears through a neutral third party.
The ERP is available in the following counties at no cost to the housing provider or the tenant:
- Snohomish County
- King County
- Pierce County
- Thurston County
- Clark County
- Spokane County
The objective of the ERP is to:
- Bring the tenant and housing provider to the table with the assistance of qualified and trained Eviction Resolution Specialists
- Explore the amount of rent arrears, the current and prospective circumstances of the tenant, the availability of rent, and other assistance to cure or partially cure the arrearage
- Discover a range of other terms that might resolve the matter in a way that allows the tenant to retain housing (and avoid the need for filing of an unlawful detainer action)
Under the program:
- Landlords may give tenants the option to participate in the ERP.
- Tenants may choose whether or not to participate in the ERP.
- If a tenant chooses to participate, the landlord must participate.